Popular Posts

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Re-falling in love again.....

Early in my life, I’d had more than my share of heartbreak – I owned a restaurant... it can leave you feeling very wounded. 
It was the 80's and Cafe Montparnasse was located in Coral Gables, Florida

It was a French Bistro (we celebrated Bastille Day)

I worked so hard - I've never been skinnier.  My chef Eric at my side.

I must have mourned that breakup long enough because while I was in Umbria making risotto (with white wine and fresh herbs), falling in love with the Grechetto (an exquisite dry white local wine that gives every Pinot Grigio I’ve ever tasted a run for their money) and sampling the harvest fresh fruit and vegetables, I remembered something basic about myself:  I am now and have ALWAYS been a foodie.
Age 5 with my grandfather's dog Interpol

Here I am at age 5, living in Bogotá, Colombia where my Austrian father opened “El Refugio Alpino” (the Alpine Refuge, a very successful restaurant near downtown that specialized in Intercontinental cuisine).  My favorite things from the menu were:
1.           Scalding hot Borscht (hot like they serve it in Ukraine) with just a bit of crème fraiche;
2.           Escargots with crusty bread to douse up all the garlic butter (with Pernod, of course) which I’d share with my mother;
3.           Veal marsala or when they had them, frog legs Provencal, with potatoes dauphin; and last but certainly never least,
4.           Either Chocolate Mousse or Gateaux Lilly (a family secret I may share in another post) … or both!
All this at age 5! 
The view from my terrace - Lake Tasimeno in the Umbria region of Central Italy, Nov., 2010

In Umbria I finally came out of the foodie closet.  I do not eat for eating’s sake.  I dine.  I confess.  It's true.
For me, eating is a sensual, passionate pastime.  I should be fat. 
Thanks to some secrets I’ll share, plus some good genes, I’m not.  And here’s the kicker:  I like cooking almost as much as eating!
In here, I hope to infect you with a bit of my passion for food.  Perhaps I can inspire you.  I have years in both private and industrial kitchens.  I’ve learned some very cool tricks, shortcuts, and tips… these could transform your cooking life.... in fact, they may do more.  Join me on this journey - we'll do it together from my kitchen to your table!  I'll give you the "Cooking 4 1 1" - promise!
Paul

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on embracing your inner foodie. This rich "first course" hints at ever more delicious entries (entrees?) to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this blog Paul and I love it. You write very well and your story intrigues me. Look forward to more blogs (though I confess to being a microwave cook). :0)

    ReplyDelete